07 August 2007

Fun with Raw Foods: Mock Fish Sticks...Because I'm on a Nori kick

I'm trying all kinds of fun and exciting ways of using (read: hiding) everyone's favorite (or least favorite), ubiquitous summer veggie.... and this one is , to say the least, a very original idea.

I got the original idea, for mock fish sticks from a fabulous forum that I've been lurking in ... The Raw Freedom Community.

There was a great looking recipe for mock fish stick, but of course, me being me, I couldn't leave it alone, and this is the result. Be warned: This recipe take a good bit of work, and a loooooong time to dehydrate, but I have to say, it was pretty good, even by the Carnivore's standards. Which means, he'd eat them.

They're also pretty cheap.

Don't be alarmed by the amount of cayenne pepper in the receipe. It's necessary in order for your mouth to perceive 'heat' but not "hot" in the OMG I've got to have a gallon of water NOW kinda way. Even the Carnivore, who hates spicy, didn't get overheated. But, erm... if you don't believe me, feel free to halve the amount.

Mock Fish Sticks

2 cups Eggplant
4-5 cups zucchini
2 tsp finely minced onion
Raw nori sheets

Marinade:
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 sheet nori, torn up
1 tsp sea salt

Batter:
2 cups raw sunflower seeds
1 tsp sea salt

1/2 cup golden flaxseeds

Cut eggplant and zucchini lengthwise into fillets about 1/3 inch thickness and soak them for at least 24 hours.

Press excess water out with a paper towel.

IN the bowl of your food processor, combine eggplant with the onion and marinade ingredients and process till smooth.

Remove to a mixing bowl. IN the food processor, chop the zuchinni until it resembles fish flakes (slightly coarse but very small.)

Mix the ingredients the eggplant mixture and the zucchini. This is your "fish" mixture.

Cut each nori sheet into quarters. Fill the nori strip with about a Tbsp of the mixture, in a long strip. Roll the nori into a cigarette shape (it will be like a 4 inch long cigarillo, actually!), and gently press the sides down.

Place the fish cigarillos on food dehydrator sheets and dehydrate at 145 for 2 hours.

Remove from the dehydrator. Flatten gently with your fingers until the cigarillos turn into little rectangles that resemble....fish sticks!

In the bowl of your food processor, grind the Sunflower seeds and salt until smooth, adding water if necessary, to make a 'pancake batter' consistency.

Grind the flaxseed until it resembles a meal.

Dip the marinated, nori cigarillos in the batter and cover completely on both sides, then roll in the flaxseed, pressing to adhere.

Place on the dehydrator tray and dehydrate at 105 degrees for about 2 hours and then flip it over and dehydrate for another hour.

1 comment:

I Am Gluten Free said...

Sea mentioned to me that other GF bloggers besides me were experimenting with Raw recipes - I join you in your quest to find delicious raw recipes/meals. I've been doing it more and more and am kind of fascinated with it. And it lends itself so well to GF eating. I'll be trying your posted raw recipes and visiting again, for sure.