15 June 2007

Chickpea-Zuchinni Blossom Fritters with Manchego Cheese


The Carnivore, if you'll remember absolutely hates chickpeas, or so he claims. But of course I've got tons of them lying around, so I had to come up with a tasty camophlage. I've been doing a lot of reading about indian foods, in an attempt to find new ways to cook things, and I've found a lot of recipes using gram (chickpea) flour.
One idea led to the other, and I was inspired to combine a little Indian cookery with another, equally loved cuisine... Italian. A dish I fell in love with in Italy was the fried zuchinni blossom fritters.
This dish is the marriage of the two, and fabulous, if I do say so myself. The fritters are light as air, crunchy and fluffy, and savory. Even the Carnivore approved. We served this with a big green salad.
Chickpea-Zuchinni Blossom Fritters with Manchego Cheese
1 can Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 c water
2 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp onion powder
6-10 zuchinni blossoms, torn into pieces
3/4 c green onion, chopped
3 oz Manchego cheese, shredded
1/2 c Better Batter Gluten Free Flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
oil
Puree the chickpeas, water, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, and onion powder in a blender till smooth. Add the zuchinni blossoms, green onion, and cheese and stir well. Add the flour and baking powder and stir. Beat in the eggs.
Fry in hot oil, flipping once. Serve hot with additional cheese, if desired.

No comments: