29 June 2007

Variations on a Theme: Kale Spinakka

I come from a Sephardic Jewish Family on my dad's side, which means that I grew up eating some pretty amazing food. Sephardic Jewish Cookery is different than what most Americans think of as "Jewish" food -- much closer to Greek food, in some regards, or Spanish food. One of my favorite dishes, my grandmother's legacy, is a dish called spinakka.
Spinakka is essentially a spinach and cheese casserole, heavy on the cheese. Since I was overrun by Kale, I wondered if I could get away with slipping some well sauteed Kale into the dish without being caught out.

The Carnivore thought the dish was acceptable, though he's still of the mind that it's more properly a side-dish than a main course, but I thought it was hearty enough to stand on its own.

A side benefit? It's ridiculously easy to throw together.

Kale Spinakka
12 cups fresh kale, ribs cut out and cut into small pieces (about 2 pounds)
8 eggs, beaten
16 oz. grated/crumbled cheese (for best flavour used mixed cheeses: we like the combination of cheddar, parmesean, and feta cheeses)
2 tsp salt
1/2 c Better Batter Gluten Free Flour or a really good GF cup-for-cup substitute

Mix the kale, eggs, flour, cheeses, and salt in a large bowl.

Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan and add the kale mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for an hour, or until slightly golden brown on top. Let cool for five minutes and cut into squares.

No comments: