04 May 2008

RAW, vegan Girl-Scout Style Samoas

Girl-Scout Style Samoas

Food3_034-normal

(click on image to enlarge)

Makes A LOT

These were my favourite cookie growing up – I always took off with the box as soon as my mom brought them into the house. Eventually she gave up and let me have my own box. Then she got smart and made me buy them…

Now, I make my own. This recipe passed with a good girlfriend of mine, who said they tasted like the real deal.

Ingredients

  • 2 cups almond flour from making almond milk, dehydrated and ground
  • 1 cup coconut, ground into powder, (I use my coffee grinder)
  • 4 medjool dates, pitted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or use vanilla seeds)
  • ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
  • *COCONUT FILLING*
  • 1 RECIPE Condensed Milk, from my profile page
  • 1 or 2 c dehydrated coconut
  • *CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE*
  • 1 RECIPE Chocolate Ganache, from my profile page

Preparation

In the bowl of your food processor, grind the almond flour and coconut until very fine and homogeneous, Add the dates, vanilla, and salt and blend until mixture comes together in a smooth mass – you may want to add the smallest amount of water to achieve this- no more than 2 tbsp!

Roll out to 1/8 inch thickness on a silicone liner or parchment paper and cut into small circles – I use a small 2 inch cookie cutter (an ‘o’ shaped one from my alphabet collection).

Place in the dehydrator and dehydrate at 110 degrees for at least 4 hours or until crisp (I usually dehydrate about 6 hours).

Mix the condensed milk and enough coconut to make a thick filling – it should be like really sticky macaroon batter. Place a small amount of this on top of the cookie, pressing lightly to stick the filling to the cookie. Place back into the dehydrator and dehydrate for about another 2-3 hours, or until the topping is set and thickened.

Make the Ganache, following the instructions on that recipe, cooling until the mixture is thick but still flowing. Dip the bottom of the cookies in the ganache and place on a parchment paper. Drizzle with ganache and place in the fridge to set. Store in a container in the fridge.

No comments: